Diane Kalas, Inspirational Historical Romance Author

“But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all thy works." Psalm 73:28 (KJV)






Saturday, November 17, 2012

19th CENTURY ETIQUETTE-TALKING EXCESSIVELY

Diane's Antique Book Collection (a few)


 The Art of Conversing with Fluency and Propriety

Talking excessively.-Beware of talking too much; if you do not talk to the purpose, the less you say the better; but even if you do, and if, withal, you are gifted with the best powers of conversation, it will be wise for you to guard against excessive loquacity. By this, we do not advise you to yield to a prudish reserve; but even that would scarcely be a more offensive extreme than to monopolize the conversation of a whole circle.

 
Thornwell, Emily, THE LADY’S GUIDE TO COMPLETE ETIQUETTE, New York, Belford, Clarke & Company, 1884




1 comment:

Mocha with Linda said...

This one made me laugh. Oh, I can think of a few people that need this one. Not that I ever have, of course.

Ahem.

Have a great Thanksgiving!