Diane Kalas, Inspirational Historical Romance Author

“But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all thy works." Psalm 73:28 (KJV)






Thursday, May 2, 2013

BACHELOR BUTTONS BOOK REVIEW

Kathleen Maher's new release

BACHELOR BUTTONS 

Recently, I had the privilege to read an advanced copy of BACHELOR BUTTONS, a novella by Kathleen Maher. Because I share the same passion for Civil War history as Kathleen, I knew the story would hold my interest.

What I didn’t know . . . Kathleen’s character development and setting are phenomenal. The Irish brogue identified the characters, although not in an intrusive way. The tenement setting in New York City drew me into their turbulent world and showed a national crisis exploding into their lives. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. I couldn’t read fast enough!

On the playful side, the heroine of BACHELOR BUTTONS loves having two eligible young men pursuing her affections, and mischievously pits them against each other in a spontaneous foot race. The hero is not the preferred bachelor according to Da, Rose's father. The Christian faith integrated in the story is believable and appropriate. Kathleen wrote fully recognizable characters with occupations, present day goals, and dreams for the future. All within a novella. Remarkable accomplishment for a writer of historical fiction. My hat’s off to Kathleen.

 As a lover of American history, I learned more details about the draft riots in New York City in July 1863, and from the point of view of the characters in BACHELOR BUTTONS. Kathleen handled the controversial subject through the characters who had something to gain or something to lose by the political decisions made in Washington, D.C.
 
Not until I finished reading BACHELOR BUTTONS did I realize Kathleen’s heroine, Rose, is based on her maternal great, great grandmother Katherine Meehan who lived in Manhattan’s lower East side during the Civil War. Even the foot race for Rose’s hand happened between the real-life suitors of Katherine, an Irish doctor and a violin teacher depicted in the novella.

Interesting to note is Kathleen’s son, Daniel Talvi, designed the cover art for BACHELOR BUTTONS. Daniel did a professional job incorporating a Civil War flag with a violin, another contribution to Kathleen’s family record. 

BACHELOR BUTTONS, a Civil War Romance, Volume 3, is being distributed as an ebook first. Later, each of the novellas in the American Civil War series: CRY FREEDOM, presented by Murray Pura, will go to print as part of a collection. Release date for print is unknown at this time.

In summary, BACHELOR BUTTONS is a wonderful read. The characters will stay with you a long time. Thank you, Kathleen, for sharing a fascinating segment in Civil War history and your family’s personal story.

Here's the Amazon link to order BACHELOR BUTTONS:
 



 

12 comments:

Kathleen Maher said...

Diane, this review is incredible! Thank you for those kind words, and for your keen insights and observations. You are an excellent reviewer! I am honored and moved. <3

Linda Glaz said...

Great post. As a past civil war re-enactor, I have to say, terrific story idea.

Leann said...

Your son did a wonderful job with the cover art. A talented family indeed :D

Kathleen Maher said...

Linda, thank you! I didn't know you were a former reenactor! Oh my goodness! how cool is that?

Leann, thank you my friend! You are sooo kind and supportive. hugs! And yeah, Dan's a keeper! He's a good kid. He's saying he'll do covers for others if they ever want them.

eliza elliott said...

Wow...your son is so talented I know you must be proud!! =)

Diane Kalas said...

I was so impressed with Kathleen's skill to incorporate all those elements necessary to complete a story and in a novella! Doubt if I could do it.

Kathleen Maher said...

Diane, I'm sure you could do it. You;re a gifted writer. Thank you!

Eliza, thank you. My son has given me plenty of grey hairs, so this moment makes me especially proud ;)

KatieC said...

The story looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing with us :).

Carrie Fancett Pagels said...

Wonderful novella and wonderful review! And I learned something about Linda Glaz from the comments, lol! Blessings!

Lisa Lickel said...

Congratulations, Kathleen! The book and concept sound lovely.

Kathleen Maher said...

Katie, Carrie and Lisa, Thank you so much for your kind comments!
Good luck on the giveaway

Kathleen Maher said...

Just learned that BAchelor Buttons is on sale for 99 cents through May!