Diane Kalas, Inspirational Historical Romance Author

“But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all thy works." Psalm 73:28 (KJV)






Thursday, May 2, 2013

KATHLEEN MAHER, AUTHOR INTERVIEW


Kathleen Maher, author of BACHELOR BUTTONS

Welcome, Kathleen, and congratulations on your debut novella, BACHELOR BUTTONS. Thank you for allowing me to interview you.
 
 
Tell me a little about yourself.

Well, I am a dog lover. I am owned by a rescued Newfoundland, a Newfoundland Golden Retriever mix, and my most recent addition, a Boxer mystery mix puppy. I have written stories since I was in kindergarten. I have three kids, one of whom has autism, and is very gifted at writing himself. And I am still on my honeymoon after 15 years of marriage to my best friend John. I’ve been a born again Christian since I was seven years old, and have had many faith adventured over the years. J

 How long have your been writing and when did you first realize you were called to write inspirational fiction?

Even though I have dabbled at story as long as I could write, I would say it really became important to me in high school. I completed a novel by the time I was a senior, and then started another one my senior year. And as far as inspirational, that happened after I entered my first writing contest in 2007. It was a secular contest with a very big name, and the experience left me with a longing to tell stories that uplifted and encouraged, that glorified the Lord.

 When did you decide to write BACHELOR BUTTONS and why?

Bachelor Buttons came out of a family story about my great, great grandmother who had two suitors—a doctor and a violin instructor. She made them run a foot race to decide which one to marry. I had always wanted to use that in my writing, and then when Murray Pura contacted me about participating in his Civil War short story collection in February, I felt it was the perfect venue. My great, great grandmother lived in Manhattan, and actually was alive when the Draft Riots took place, only she was a little girl. With a bit of tweaking, I made her character of courting age, and juxtaposed their story into the time frame of 1863.

 Any surprises in the research for BACHELOR BUTTONS?

Yes, actually. I had always known that most of the violence of the riots was committed sadly by Irish against freed black men. What I didn’t know was that heroes emerged from among the Irish also, such as the many firemen and police who countered the mobs’ destruction, and also, a neighborhood of Irish who protected their black neighbor from lynching and attack on his business.

 What project are you working on now?

Two. One is a Colonial short story set in New York state. And another is a fairy tale, which I am VERY excited about.

 Is the Civil War your favorite era for writing an historical novel or are there others?

Civil War was my first love, and that is why I was delighted to participate in this collection. I know I won’t always get to write Civil War, so thank goodness I have other interests, such as WWII, medieval, and 19th century.

 Are you a seat-of-the-pants writer or do you outline before starting the first draft?

Both. LOL  I outline in my head, and sometimes on paper, and then let the characters take me where they will.

 Name a person from history whom you would enjoy meeting and tell why.   

I love this question, and yet I never know how to answer it. Probably because there are several. I can’t wait to meet my relatives in heaven, such as the inspiration for my hero and heroine, Katherine Meehan and William Lee. But I also want to meet Elijah. I love reading about him in the book of Kings. I want to meet Robert E. Lee and just listen to his stories. Thank God heaven goes on forever, because it would take me forever to sit at the feet of all of my heroes.

Thank you so much for having me on your blog, Diane. You are a blessing to help me share about my debut novella. Can’t wait until your Civil War series sells and I can return the favor! Lord bless you, my friend. Kathy

I appreciate the time taken to answer my nosy questions, Kathleen!

Please leave a comment for Kathleen, and a chance to win a free copy of BACHELOR BUTTONS, an ebook, or a lovely gift basket. In one week, we will have a random drawing. Don't forget to include your email address. Thank you.

Congratulations to Cynthia Lovely for winning Kathy's novella and Irish gift basket. Her name was drawn through random.org. We want to thank each of you for visiting this week.


 

19 comments:

Kathleen Maher said...

Diane, once again you have blessed me! Wow. I feel so special , and I am deeply grateful for the hard work you put into this. The Lord bless you a thousand fold, my friend!

Deborah Dee Harper said...

Kathleen and Diane--what a lovely, informative post! Thanks so much for giving me a great start to my day. I look forward to reading Bachelor Buttons!

Blessings,
Deb
deborahdeetales@gmail.com

Amy C said...

What an lovely interview! Congrats, Kathleen!
campbellamyd at gmail dot com

Deanna Mundy said...

I cannot wait to read this story.

deamundy(at)gmail(dot)com

Kathleen Maher said...

Deborah, thank you so much for your interest in my story. I am honored. I pray you love it.

Deanna, best of luck to you in the giveaway! You've been so faithful to come by and wish me well. Thank you!

Amy, Thanks so much! Diane did a stellar job with the questions. She made it easy! :D

eliza elliott said...

Thanks for the great post...I look forward to reading this book and I too am a fan of Lee...my grandpa got me hooked on him =)
truckredford(at)gmail(dot)com

Kathleen Maher said...

Eliza, another thing we have in common! Good luck on the contest. Thanks for coming by~

Mary Duff said...

I just can't wait to read Bachelor Buttons. This is the type of books I love and enjoy reading.
The interview was fantastic Diane and Kathleen.

Mary Duff
missniceguy@hotmail.com

Kathleen Maher said...

Mary, that thrills me to hear it! Thank you so much for coming by and for your support. Bless you!

Veronica Sternberg said...

I love the Civil War period and would love to win this! shopgirl152nykiki(at)yahoo(dot)com

Kathleen Maher said...

Veronica, thank you for coming by and leaving a comment! I wish you good luck on the giveaways

Leann said...

Kathleen is a wonderful writer and very devoted to honing her craft. I can't wait to read my copy of Bachelor Buttons. :) It's already downloaded it onto my Kindle for my summer reading :D (Hopefully my summer college classes will have a lighter work load).

Leann said...

... leannlaustin@gmail dot com.... for the drawing.

Debra E. Marvin said...

lovely interview ladies! SUch great questions. I'd love to be in the drawing for this basket - mostly I want the book. I just finished the two ahead of Kathy's in the release schedule. I know she's an excellent writer and we share a passion for NYS history!

debraemarvin at yahoooooo

Louise said...

Love the interview and look forward to reading your book. Thanks for enterring me in the contest :)

winterrose (at) comcast (dot) net

Kathleen Maher said...

Leann and Debra, I am so touched that you want to read it. Thank you! Knowing that you are awesome writers in your own right, that just blesses me.
Louise, Thank you! It was a fun interview. Good luck on the giveaway!

Cynthia A. Lovely said...

Oh Kathleen - Congratulations!
So proud of you!
cllyrics@gmail.com

Kathleen Maher said...

Cynthia! It's wonderful you came by. Thank you! Its been a long road, and I am just tickled to break in with a Civil War story. Blessings,
Kathy

Kathleen Maher said...

Bachelor Buttons is on sale through May for only 99 cents!